3.04.2008

Sentimental Pussyfooting - post show

The show is over. Came and went like a firefly in the night, ahhh the poetry of it all. Well, at least no one told me how poetic the show was this time. Hate that term. So vague, kinda like saying congratulations after a show. Nice but meaningless. I am thankful for all the people who came, but disappointed at all the people who didn't. This town, this bay area is so not curious about dance. Dancers do not go see work of people they don't know unless that person is famous. I remember one time talking with another choreographer in a taco shop on Mission, talking about seeing work. He said that after seeing all the work that his friends are in that it is hard for him to go out and see stuff by someone he doesn't know. He might not like it. LIKE IT? The point isn't to go see stuff because you like it. The point is to go see stuff to see what other artists in your community are up to, to see what they are thinking about. Granted no one is thinking about anything in this community, so maybe that is why people don't go see dancers others than their friends.
But I am thinking about something. Sentimental Pussyfooting is a brilliant show. It might not be entertaining, but I am not looking for entertainment in my art. If I wanted entertainment, I would stay at home get stoned and watch a movie. The show has a focus, looks at older work in a new light, a coherent aesthetic. It's not about love and communication, blah blah blah.
Going to a show this Thursday at Dance Mission. Not friends with any of the people in it, as far as I know who is in it, but I am curios to see what these people are up to, to see what they are thinking about. Might not like the show, but I am not going for a good time. To stay engaged and connected I need to see what other people are up to.
If you do not actively see work, go see all different shows, what does that say about your process?

No comments:

Post a Comment