9.16.2008

Carbon Footprint of music

As I write this post, I am listening to the melodius musical styling of Miles Davis et al. on Pandora.com. If you don't know Pandora, get to know her!! Type in a musicians name, or a band or a song and the algorithm or small elves or whatever picks other songs to play based upon your voting yeah or nay on other songs.

But I digress...

As I sit here and listen to this music, I wonder about the environmental impact of listening to music on the internet. Does it take more juice than listening to a cd of the same music? How does that compare to a turntable? If all music in the future is only digital and no physical LPs or CDs are made, would that offset all the energy needed to run my computer, wireless router, DSL system and computers at Pandora's end? No need to drive to a store to buy a plastic disc to then drive back home and stick into my computer to then rip and store on a harddrive that has to be on and using juice if I want to listen to the music.

Maybe the best way, least impactful method of listening to music would be just to make my own music on non electrified equipment...

No comments:

Post a Comment